2,300! That's a big number, and makes the mission of Whole Kids Foundation that much more important.
Their mission? To improve childhood nutrition by providing better access and availability to fruits and veggies for your kiddos at school and at home.
Keep reading to find out how to win a $50 Gift Card to Whole Foods
In honor of Whole Kids Foundation mission to support school salad bar and garden grant programs I answered the call of the Whole Kids Salad Recipe Blogger Challenge and created a tasty, and healthy salad recipe that I wanted to share with you.
psssst! Did you know that if you replace just one meal a day with a salad, you could see a reduction of 100 calories per day, which equals 10-pounds a year!? Just sayin'.
Choppy Chopped Italian Salad w/ Pistachios
6 Persian cucumbers, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 Romaine heart, chopped
4 small stalks celery, chopped
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
1 can 365 Everyday Value® Garbanzo Beans, drained
4oz. sliced black olives, drained
1/3 c. feta cheese (reserve 1 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp. 365 Everyday Value® Organic Italian Dressing
1/2 c. pistachios, shelled and chopped
1. Chop/Dice cucumbers, tomato, red onion, romaine, and celery into small 1/2 inch pieces and place in large salad bowl.
2. Add chopped parsley, garbanzo beans, black olives and most of the feta cheese.
3. Drizzle 365 Everyday Value® Organic Italian Dressing (available at Whole Foods) over salad and toss to coat ingredients.
4. Sprinkle reserved feta cheese and pistachios on top of salad, and serve!
Serves 4-6 people
NOTES: If you're not into nuts, you can omit the pistachios, and this is still a totally tasty salad! I was surprised that both my 1 and 2 year old chowed down on this salad too....they LOVED it!
* * *
So, if you're wondering what you can do to jump aboard this wagon headed straight for better nutrition in your kids school lunches, let me tell you:
What You Can Do!
- Purchase products from these participating brands that give back to Whole Kids Foundation: Mrs. Meyers; Yellow 108; Peeled Snacks; Red Jacket Orchards; and High Mowing Organic Seeds.
- Make a donation at the register during check out
- Text "SALAD" to 20222 to donate $10 to support salad bar grants at schools near you
Isn't the future health of your children and their friends worth a little time and investment?
I think so! Join me and help set your kids on a path of better nutrition today.
Find out more about how to get involved at www.wholekidsfoundation.org
~ Enter To Win ~
(1) $50 Gift Certificate to Whole Foods
- Giveaway deadline October 7, 2013
- Open to US entrants ages 18+
- Complete Rafflecopter form below for your chance to win